Rhona Barker BPsych GradCertMH(Peri&Inf) assocMAPS
Rhona Barker completed her Bachelor of Psychology degree from James Cook University in 1998 and worked with troubled youth before starting in private practice in 2010. In 2013 Rhona attended the NSW Institute of Psychiatry and added a Graduate Certificate in Perinatal and Infant Mental Health to her qualifications.
Rhona doesn’t believe that any one psychological approach fits all but instead endeavours to discover with the client what works best for them. Rhona draws from modalities including Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT), Psychotherapy and Psychoeducation.
Rhona treats clients who present with a broad range of issues including but not limited to:
- Depression & anxiety
- Personal development
- Social & emotional Skills
- Grief & loss
- Difficulties in managing life, workplace and school stresses
- Life transition: leaving school, becoming a parent, retiring, illness/pain and other life changing events
Rhona has a special interest in, and has done additional training in, the area of perinatal psychology. She provides treatment to parents when:
- Dealing with a variety of feelings related to the pregnancy, birth or early months of being a parent
- Coming to terms with unexpected outcomes (eg stillbirth, miscarriage, genetic conditions and problems at birth)
- Attachment (bonding with baby) issues
- Life transition and adjustment including relationships
- Treatment of diagnosed perinatal anxiety, depression and birth trauma
- Parenting programs including Circle of Security
Rhona maintains professional standards by engaging in supervision and professional development activities and is an Associate Member of the Australian Psychology Society.